TUI Group has just published its Sustainability Report for the completed financial year. The report offers an overview of the activities and progress delivered in the first year of the Group-wide “Better Holidays, Better World 2015-2020” strategy.
In the framework of its sustainability strategy, TUI does not just assess the economic, social and ecological impact of its own business operations, the Group is also committed to pioneering more sustainable tourism.
Fritz Joussen, CEO, TUI Group “TUI recognises that the tourism sector shares responsibility for sustainable development and we actively engage in many ways to support this. We see the societal and economic potential of tourism to benefit people throughout the world. For us, environmental and social sustainability are two sides of the same coin.”
The tourism group’s targets for the period until 2020 entail reducing the specific CO2 emissions of the airlines, cruise companies and hotels by a further 10 per cent. TUI’s goal is to deliver 10 million greener and fairer holidays per year, and to unite and expand the Group’s community engagement with the support of the TUI Care Foundation. By 2020, the Group will invest 10 million euros per year to support good causes.
“Since the publication of our sustainability strategy a year ago, we have worked hard to achieve our ambitious 2020 targets. We have been able to improve our carbon efficiency and have implemented countless initiatives to minimise our environmental footprint,” said Thomas Ellerbeck, member of TUI’s Group Executive Committee. “A further milestone was the launch of the TUI Care Foundation. Tourism is one of the most efficient ways of supporting the economic development and prosperity of countries and societies. Our charity will establish projects which promote sustainable development in destinations throughout the world. An emphasis will be on those countries which most need our support and where we can involve our own colleagues and experienced local partners. A key focus will be to create better opportunities for young people through education and vocational training. However, TUI Care Foundation will also extend its efforts to safeguard unspoilt nature and environment through investment in innovative projects.”
Highlights of the report:
- In 2015, TUI airlines’ carbon emissions amounted to 66.0 g per passenger kilometre (g CO2/ pkm) – down 2.3 per cent versus the prior year. The Group thus operates the most climate-efficient airlines in Europe.
- In the atmosfair Airline Index 2015, the German TUIfly airline was ranked the ‘world’s most climate-efficient airline ‘ for the third consecutive time. Thomson Airways ranked second as the most climate-efficient airline in the medium- and long-haul segment.
- Between 2012 and 2015, improved management of energy, natural resources and fuel across the Group saved a total of 63 million euros.*
- In 2015, TUI Group took more than 5.6 million customers to hotels with sustainability certifications.
- In 2015, 68% of TUI’s hotel brands and concepts had a sustainability certification recognised by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC).
- The new cruise ships launched by TUI Cruises are up to 30% more energy-efficient than comparable ships.
- In 2015, more than 500,000 customers enjoyed a TUI Collection excursion tailored to promoting sustainability.
- The TUI Care Foundation unites the Group’s activities aimed at promoting charity projects. Projects include a traditional wine-growing business on Lanzarote and a project to protect elephants in Tanzania.
- In 2015, TUI companies, employees and customers donated 5.4 million euros, invested to enhance the positive impacts of tourism.
- TUI Group achieved a perfect score of 100 per cent in CDP’s CO2 ranking in Germany and the UK in 2015.
*An approximate figure of savings tracked from 2012 to 2015, gross of upfront investments. Part of previously identified cost savings.
You can read the report here: http://www.tuigroup.com/en-en/sustainability/reporting-downloads
For more information about sustainability at TUI Group visit: www.tui-sustainability.com